monkeywire - [monkeywire] 'Chimpsploitation' has got to stop

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: josh.greenman AT gmail.com
  • To: "monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org" <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] 'Chimpsploitation' has got to stop
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:18:41 +0000

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2009/04/chimpsloitation-has-got-to-sto.html

'Chimpsploitation' has got to stop

Rowan Hooper, online news editor

We often run stories celebrating our similarities to chimps, from their
amazing cognitive skills to their use of weapons.

But as fascinating as those stories are, this photo brings home our closeness
to chimps like nothing else I've seen. It's also highly disturbing to see an
ape in this state.

Taken by RedEyedRex and posted it on Flickr, the chimp is apparently resident
at Mysore zoo in India. It brings a new meaning to the phrase "naked ape".

There are several hypotheses explaining why we don't have body hair and our
ape relatives do, from the idea that nakedness was an anti-parasite
adaptation to the idea that humans went through an aquatic phase in our
evolution.

But unless the poor animal is naturally bald, it seems that he is suffering
from stress-related hair loss. From the expression on his face (and it is
obviously a male) he doesn't looks like he's the most well-adjusted of
animals. It's sure to spark more arguments about the welfare of animals in
captivity.

And in other chimp news today, I came across this YouTube clip of a juvenile
chimp riding a segway. Although it's interesting to see how the chimp learns
to ride the segway, it disturbs me to see it dressed in dungarees (though at
least it's wearing a helmet).

Chimpsploitation - not to mention the bushmeat trade - has got to stop.

Posted on April 17, 2009 4:22 PM

  • [monkeywire] 'Chimpsploitation' has got to stop, josh . greenman, 04/19/2009