monkeywire - [monkeywire] Great Ape Spotted In Florida Woods

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: "carrie mclaren" <brooklynite282 AT gmail.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Great Ape Spotted In Florida Woods
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:57:14 -0500

Great Ape Spotted In Woods Near Macclenny
Official Uses Box Of Donuts In Attempt To Lure Ape From Tree
http://www.news4jax.com/news/14596253/detail.html

POSTED: 2:51 pm EST November 14, 2007

MACCLENNY, Fla. -- State wildlife officers are hoping to capture what
appears to be an orangutan sighted earlier this month in the woods of Baker
County.

On Nov. 2, two men called animal control to report seeing what appeared to
be a large ape in a tree off Harry Rewis Road, north of Macclenny.

Animal control officer Tina Thomas went out and confirmed seeing a "big red
fur ball" -- apparently an ape -- sitting in a tree.

"We got this call and this man said, 'You are just not going to believe this
and I'm not crazy.' I said, 'What is it? We've heard a lot of things.' He
said, 'I have a monkey in my tree.'" Thomas said. "I thought the man was on
drugs. I said, 'Are you sure?' He was like, 'I'm telling you I'm not on
drugs and I ain't been drinking.'"

Not equipped with the proper training to handle such an exotic animal,
Thomas said she immediately called the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission
to send an officer out.

When Thomas got to the scene, she saw the animal and realized the caller was
right.

"We got the binoculars and could see the whole body of the ape. He was red
with a lighter color face," Thomas said.

About 100 feet up in a tree, the ape fit the description of an orangutan.
She said the ape was about 3 or 4 feet tall and was curled up, nesting in a
pile of leaves.

"We were just wondering where he had came from and if he was wild or
somebody's pet. But he was definitely wild. He didn't like people," said
Rock Rohden, who saw the ape.

When a Fish and Wildlife arrived at the scene, the officer couldn't identify
the animal and did not want to try to tranquilize the animal because it was
100 feet off the ground, so he set out a box of doughnuts and told folks to
call him if it came down.

Columbia monkey
GWC Image
A large patas monkey was captured in Columbia County in December 2006.
The orangutan apparently did come down, but no one saw it. The morning after
the ape was spotted, it was gone.

"The game warden stated to leave the animal be, that he would remove himself
on his own and that he was probably scared and would go on his way to where
he needed to be," Thomas said.

Orangutans, known for their red fur, are native to Malaysia and Indonesia.

Thomas speculated that the animal may be a refugee from an off-road tourist
attraction that was damaged by the storms in 2004.

A large patas monkey was captured in Columbia County one year ago. State
officials said it belonged to a homeowner who had a permit.

Officials said it has been about two weeks since anyone has spotted the ape.
They said anyone who sees the animal is advised not to go near it and to
immediately call the wildlife alert line at 888-404-3922.

  • [monkeywire] Great Ape Spotted In Florida Woods, carrie mclaren, 11/15/2007