monkeywire - [monkeywire] Woman still likes gorilla despite attack

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <temporary181 AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Woman still likes gorilla despite attack
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 23:49:05 -0400

Dutch woman still likes gorilla despite attack
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18767315/

400-pound male ape who bit her at zoo 'remains my darling,' victim says

May 21: Cell phone video shows a 400-pound gorilla walking into a zoo restaurant after escaping from his enclave. MSNBC.com's Dara Brown reports.

MSNBC.com | May 21, 2007

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - A 57-year-old Dutch woman who was attacked by a 400-pound gorilla at a Rotterdam zoo said the ape was still her favorite even though she felt she was going to die when he bit her.

"I go to the zoo almost every day with my husband, and we're always going to see Bokito. I even have pictures and videos from Berlin when he was only 4 months old," the woman told Dutch mass-circulation daily Telegraaf.

"He is and remains my darling," the paper quoted the woman as saying from her hospital bed, where she is being treated for bite wounds and a broken arm and wrist.

The 11-year-old male gorilla burst out of its enclosure on Friday and went on a rampage in the zoo's cafeteria before being recaptured.

People grab their children with the escaped gorilla standing nearby, behind the plant at right.

"I stood by the small apes in the Africa section when I heard a thud behind me. I turned around and there was Bokito. I had nowhere to go. He gripped me, sat

  • [monkeywire] Woman still likes gorilla despite attack, Carrie McLaren, 05/22/2007