monkeywire - [monkeywire] Homechoice customers urged to dump service over chimp ad

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Homechoice customers urged to dump service over chimp ad
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:26:29 -0400

Homechoice customers urged to dump service over chimp ad

by Sam Matthews Brand Republic 27 Oct 2005
http://www.brandrepublic.com/bulletins/br/article/524896/homechoice-customers-urged-dump-service-chimp-ad/

LONDON - Animal rights campaign group Animal Defenders International has urged Homechoice customers to cancel their subscriptions after the broadband TV company screened its latest television ad using a performing chimpanzee.

In the ad, created by Mother, a chimpanzee is shown in a studio room with a researcher, being taught how to use a picture keyboard while bored onlookers stand behind a panel before the catchphrase "I'd rather be at home" appears.

ADI has slammed Homechoice about the ads, claiming primates suffer being "caged, chained and depraved of normal social interactions" when used for entertainment.

ADI spokesperson Jean Creamer has urged Homechoice customers to cancel their subscriptions.

"If a family brand like Homechoice think it is reasonable to demean primates in this way to promote their services, then we must encourage our supporters to boycott Homechoice and their customers to cancel subscriptions."

A Homechoice spokesman defended the ads. "The chimp was used for a pre-agreed time of two hours maximum, given regular breaks and refreshments and was supervised by its trainer at all times. At no time was the chimp distressed," he said.

  • [monkeywire] Homechoice customers urged to dump service over chimp ad, Carrie McLaren, 10/28/2005