monkeywire - [monkeywire] Monkeys haunt Rajokri villagers

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Monkeywire <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Monkeys haunt Rajokri villagers
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/5922_972629,0015002200000008.htm

Monkeys haunt Rajokri villagers

Chetan Chauhan
New Delhi, August 27

Residents of South-West Delhi's Rajokri village have been forced to take up
an unusual
duty these days. Everyday, lathis in hand, they escort their children to
schools, fearing
attack by monkeys. In the past one month, monkey menace has left a woman dead
and 24
children injured.

On Thursday, about two dozen villagers launched a hunt for the monkeys. They
have even
hired a gunman to kill them. However, their efforts have come to a nought.

"We searched for three to four hours but failed to find the monkeys," said
Bhim Singh.
The monkeys had escaped from the Municipal Corporation of Delhi's cage in
Rajokri Pahari
while being transported to Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh about a month ago.

The incident went unnoticed till the monkeys started attacking children in
the locality.

The latest victim is Sunil, who was attacked by a monkey on Tuesday.

"He was little behind than us and suddenly we saw monkeys attacking him. By
the time we
rescued him, Sunil's face and arm were badly mauled. We were not able to
catch the
monkey," his mother said.

Sunil has been unlucky for the second time. He was bit by monkey about a
month ago. "This
time the attack was more severe," she added.

Last Thursday, Sanjay, a class III student, was returning home when monkeys
attacked him.
He had to be admitted in Safdarjung Hospial with serious injuries for a week.

Though villagers have lodged a complaint with the police, not much has
happened.
According to the police, they have informed the MCD officials about the
incidents.

Listless, the villagers have decided to take up lathis themselves, literally.
"Everyday,
a few of them are deputed to bring children back from school, said Balbir
Sharma, a
resident. Since the attacks, children are virtually living in monkey fear.

  • [monkeywire] Monkeys haunt Rajokri villagers, Josh Greenman, 08/26/2004