monkeywire - [monkeywire] Escaped monkey bites 2 in Winona County

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Escaped monkey bites 2 in Winona County
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:57:29 -0400

Last update: July 8, 2004 at 11:17 PM

Escaped monkey bites 2 in Winona County

July 9, 2004

ST. CHARLES, MINN. -- An escaped monkey bit two people at the Winona County fairgrounds, resulting in their getting rabies shots and the monkey being placed in quarantine, authorities said.

The incident started Tuesday afternoon when two boys apparently pried open the locked door of a trailer containing five monkeys and a lemur, which were at the fair as part of an exhibit. The monkeys escaped, but the lemur stayed put.

Four of the monkeys were quickly captured by their handlers, said the animals' owner, Brian Staples of Staples Safari Zoo and Animal Rescue. The fifth scurried across the grounds to the 4-H livestock area, he said.

Several people chased it. Cornered and frightened, the monkey bit two people on the hand before being caught, Staples said. Those bitten decided Wednesday to receive rabies shots rather than see the monkey killed and tested for the disease.

"I thought those guys were champions in catching the monkey in the first place and now I think they're heroes in keeping the monkey alive," Staples said, adding that the monkeys were like "my children."

Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand said two boys, ages 13 and 14 of St. Charles, were questioned Wednesday night by St. Charles police. He said the boys admitted opening the trailer. County prosecutors are considering charges, Brand said.

Staples said he would the pay the medical bills for the two victims, who will get six rabies shots over 28 days. Staples agreed to keep the monkey under quarantine for the same period.

Associated Press

  • [monkeywire] Escaped monkey bites 2 in Winona County, Josh Greenman, 07/09/2004