monkeywire - [monkeywire] Parking lot gorilla found by local boy

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Parking lot gorilla found by local boy
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:51:24 -0500

Parking lot gorilla found by local boy
02/10/04
Stephanie Miller
http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?show=localnews&pnpID=909&NewsID=525029&CategoryID=13280&on=0
A gorilla taken from the Wal-Mart parking lot on Jan. 25 was found in a park by an 11-year-old boy on Feb. 5.

According to Detective Sgt. Stacey Sapp of the Dublin Police Department, Wes Creamer found the inflatable advertising device in Springdale Park.

"I was just riding my bike along Springdale Park," said Creamer after being rewarded $100 by the gorilla's owner for helping to rescue the gigantic animal. "I saw something black, then I saw the teeth and I knew it was the gorilla."

Creamer said he rode his bicycle home and told his dad, Wayne Leach, he had found the gorilla that he had read about in the newspaper.

"My daddy's a firefighter," said Leach. "He told me the gorilla from the mall was missing. I rode home and told him, "I've got some bad news and some good news.'"

Creamer explained he wasn't suppose to ride his bicycle to Springdale Park and he knew telling his father he had would get him in trouble, but he knew he had to tell him anyway.

"He said, 'go on to your room,'" said Creamer, who said he then told his dad to wait and hear the good news first. Creamer said when he told his dad he had found the gorilla, he dad was a little bit surprised.

"I told him if he didn't believe me to go with me and I'd show him," said Creamer. "Then he got in his truck and when he saw it he said it was real good and he was proud of me and so did my mom."

Creamer said his dad forgot all about being mad at him for breaking his rules.

Leach called the Dublin Police Department and they came to get the gorilla. Sapp said on the day the owner came to pick up the monstrous item it was blown up in the parking lot of the police department to check for damage and there appeared to be none.

Sapp said the gorilla appeared to have been dumped out of a vehicle and must have been dropped off just minutes before Creamer rode up on it.

The gorilla is owned by Craig and Kimberlee Pennington of Creative Advertising Promotions and Services of Hahira. Craig Pennington drove to Dublin Monday to present Creamer an award for finding the gorilla.

"He kept saying, 'Have I got to go back to school,'" said Sapp of Creamer once he got his reward. He said Creamer wanted to go on to Wal-Mart for a shopping spree.

"I got a card and on the front it said, 'God bless you and thank you,'" said Creamer. He said his dad took him back to school, planning their shopping trip for after work and school Monday night.

  • [monkeywire] Parking lot gorilla found by local boy, Carrie McLaren, 02/10/2004