monkeywire - [monkeywire] Chimp reunites with family

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Monkeywire <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Chimp reunites with family
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:32:40 -0800 (PST)

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/7646539.htm

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Moe the Chimp got a post-holiday reunion with his owners,
who raised
the chimpanzee for more than 30 years in the West Covina home before
authorities banned
the primate from the neighborhood.

La Donna and St. James Davis saw Moe for the first time in nearly a year on
Monday during
an emotional reunion at the Wildlife Waystation in the eastern San Fernando
Valley hills.

Moe, now 37, threw back his head and screeched as the Davises stepped from a
car in front
of his cage. The chimp raced around his cage and howled, bringing the Davises
to tears.

Waystation rules still keep the Davises from getting any closer than a foot
from the
130-pound, 4-foot-l chimp.

"We are able to visit our beloved Moe for the first time in nearly a year. He
is the
light of our life," La Donna Davis said.

The couple's attorney, Gloria Allred, said Moe would be moved within months
to another
California location close to other chimps where his "parents" can visit him.

The Davises and other visitors to the Wildlife Waystation have been barred
because of
code violations at the animal refuge. Moe was moved to the Waystation in
September 1999
after he bit the finger of a visitor at the Davises West Covina home.

The Davises said Moe thought the woman's finger was licorice.

  • [monkeywire] Chimp reunites with family, Josh Greenman, 01/06/2004