monkeywire - [monkeywire] Antelope Teen Finds Monkey at Gas Station

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Antelope Teen Finds Monkey at Gas Station
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:12:23 -0400

Antelope Teen Finds Monkey at Gas Station
http://www.kxtv10.com/storyfull.asp?id=5020
Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 10:39 AM

April Lockhart could barely believe her eyes. As she was pulling into an Antelope gas station, she spied a cage by the side of the road. In that cage was a full grown monkey.

Lockhart called the California Highway Patrol, but she had trouble getting them to take her seriously. "They were like, 'A monkey in a cage? You found a monkey in a cage, are you serious?' And I was like, 'Yes, I found a monkey!'"

Lockhart also called Krysta Sponaugle, a friend who has experience with exotic animals. "I've had everything from alligators to emus and rattlesnakes," said Sponaugle.

While Sponaugle consulted the Internet on what to feed the monkey, the CHP called the SPCA. "It's from the macaque family. It's a senior, in excess we're thinking, of 20, possibly as old as 35," said David Dickenson of the SPCA.

As to where the monkey came from, April believes it either fell or was pushed off the back of a truck. The SPCA has theories, too, but isn't sharing them just yet.

The monkey might end up at a local zoo. If it does, April has a plan. "Take my whole family to see it, show him off, be like: 'I found that monkey!'" said Lockhart.

  • [monkeywire] Antelope Teen Finds Monkey at Gas Station, Carrie McLaren, 08/07/2003