monkeywire - [monkeywire] Zoo chimps given wedding

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: gregory nahas <lettherebemonkeys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Zoo chimps given wedding
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:18:20 -0800 (PST)

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_761989.html?menu=news.quirkies

Zoo chimps given wedding

Two chimpanzees have been 'married' at a zoo in Brazil
to encourage them to start a family.

The 'couple' wore wedding gowns and even had a wedding
cake, Terra Noticias Populares reports.

The party was enjoyed by zoo visitors and children
were given little wedding gifts.

A spokesman for the Rio de Janeiro Zoo said: "Those
two were flirting outrageously over the fences for
four months and we decided to give them a chance.

"The male, Pipo, has been single for 10 years and it's
time for him to give up his bachelor life and give us
little chimps. We hope the whole wedding party
atmosphere helps them to breed."

The new couple have been given their own cage and
zookeepers expect them to start breeding soon.

Story filed: 13:45 Tuesday 18th March 2003

http://platinum.yahoo.com