monkeywire - [monkeywire] retirement

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Josh Greenman <joshg1973 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] retirement
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:39:43 -0700 (PDT)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020918/ap_wo_en_po/us_research_chimps_retired_1

More than 300 research chimps and monkeys retired, turned over to preserve

Wed Sep 18, 2:56 PM ET

By RICHARD BENKE, Associated Press Writer

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - More than 300 chimpanzees and monkeys that have been used in medical research in southern New Mexico are being turned over to a Florida-based animal advocacy group.

Frederick Coulston, who helped develop or test treatments for malaria, hepatitis and AIDS ( news - web sites) in a 72-year career, said he gave 288 chimpanzees and 90 monkeys to the Center for Captive Chimpanzee Care run by animal advocate Carole Noon.

The animals will never be used as research subjects again, Noon said Wednesday.

At its peak in the 1990s, the Coulston Foundation oversaw 650 chimps with about 100 employees at a primate lab at Holloman Air Force Base and a nearby lab complex in Alamogordo.

Noon sought the right to care for the chimps when Holloman divested itself from research involving the animals in 1997.

During the weekend, Noon took over Coulston's facilities, including offices, animal housing and a laboratory, on the southwestern edge of Alamogordo. Noon said her organization paid dlrs 3.7 million for the land and facilities.

"Our main objective now is just to improve their lives as best we can," she said.

That includes feeding the animals fruits, vegetables and grains instead of "monkey chow," Noon said.

"They had no nest materials, no blankets ... no toys, no little tasks to occupy their minds," she said.

The animals will stay in the Alamogordo facility until Noon's group can build new facilities. "That may be a five- or 10-year period. But maybe we can provide them with what they need here," she said.

Coulston in the past has been a target of animal rights groups, including People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, In Defense of Animals and Animal Protection of New Mexico, that oppose using chimpanzees for medical research.

"They'll be in the hands of good people caring for the chimps," said Coulston, 87. He had been studying the aging in the chimps, but said the transfer "gives me a chance to go back and do some of the things I'd like to do before I retire."

The National Institutes of Health ( news - web sites) insists on primate testing of new medicines before they are authorized for human trials.

___

On The Net:

Center for Captive Chimpanzee Care: http://www.savethechimps.org

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines

  • [monkeywire] retirement, Josh Greenman, 09/18/2002