monkeywire - [monkeywire] Orangs raid zoo's shop

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: gregory nahas <lettherebemonkeys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Orangs raid zoo's shop
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hungry ape breaks out of cage to raid zoo shop

An orangutan escaped from her enclosure at a Czech zoo
to raid the shop for snacks.

Dona managed to swing over an electric fence with her
daughter Bona at the zoo in Dvur Kralove.

She then headed for the shop where she grabbed crisps
and chocolate bars, and took swigs from bottles of
washing-up liquid and cleaning fluid.

Dana Holeckova, zoo director, said: "She must have
carefully planned her escape as she was so determined
to get out."

Shopkeeper Bohuslava Doubravova added: "I was standing
outside and watched Dona as she climbed down from the
roof. She looked me in the eye before heading inside.
I tried to push her outside but didn't manage."

Doubravova added: "She started eating all kinds of
snacks right away and she wanted to try everything.
She drank a little bit of washing-up liquid and
cleaning liquid and then I had to wrestle a jar of
coffee away from her. I thought she might have turned
angry but she was really calm the whole time."

Zoo staff managed to tranquilise the apes then move
them back to their cage less than an hour after they
escaped. They were unhurt during their adventure.

Story filed: 17:12 Friday 31st May 2002
Http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_599668.html?menu=news.quirkies