monkeywire - Monkeys taking "bribes" over court cases

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: gregory nahas <lettherebemonkeys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Monkeys taking "bribes" over court cases
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:29:53 -0800 (PST)

Monkeys taking 'bribes' over court cases

Litigants in India are 'bribing' monkeys with bananas
to ensure that court cases go their way.

Hindus believe feeding the animals on days regarded
favourable to monkey god Hanuman will guarantee speedy
hearings.

Hordes of monkeys are reported to have invaded court
premises as a result.

Businessman Manoj Sharma, whose case has been going
through a New Delhi court for five years, told
newspaper Jagriti: "My lawyer and astrologer suggested
I should keep monkeys happy. After offering bananas to
them, the case has been ruled in my favour."

Another litigant, Mahinder Pal Singh, said there was a
miraculous improvement in the progress of court
proceedings after he "bribed the monkeys".

He said: "I thought I would be an old man before my
case came up for hearing. Now I am almost there. It's
almost as if god is sitting in judgment.

Fruit vendor Ramashrey Pandey said: "The demand for
bananas has done a whole lot of good to everyone. It
used to take me an entire day to sell a basket. Now
the entire stuff is taken within one hour."

Story filed: 11:08 Thursday 10th January 2002