monkeywire - Monkey mishap plunges town into darkness

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: gregory nahas <lettherebemonkeys AT yahoo.com>
  • To: monkeywire <monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Monkey mishap plunges town into darkness
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:17:28 -0800 (PST)

Monkey mishap plunges town into darkness
http://www.ananova.com/yournews/story/sm_447916.html

An Indian town has been plunged into darkness after a
monkey wandered
into a power station and caused a short circuit.

Officials at Burla near the town of Sambalpur said the
monkey jumped
on to a transformer, triggering the power failure.

The electricity supply was not restored for hours.
Authorities are to
meet to devise ways of keeping monkeys away from the
power station.

Sivananda Biswal, a senior district official, told the
Jagriti
newspaper: "At three in the morning, the monkey was
probably bored
and chose to have some fun at our expense.

"It's high time we review our attitude of treating
monkeys like gods.
They cannot be allowed to tinker with the power
supply."

Story filed: 09:31 Tuesday 13th November 2001