monkeywire - Monkey snatches baby as mother breastfeeds

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Monkey snatches baby as mother breastfeeds
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:36:47 -0500

Agence France Presse
October 25, 2001 Thursday 6:23 AM Eastern Time

HEADLINE: Monkey snatches baby as mother breastfeeds

DATELINE: KOTA BAHARU, Malaysia, Oct 25

A young Malaysian mother was stunned when the family's pet monkey snatched her baby as she was breastfeeding him and dashed out of the house, a report said Thursday.

Cries for help from 24-year-old Rosmani Lilawati Shaari brought three sisters-in-law into the chase and the monkey was finally cornered -- but it would not give up the month-old baby.

"It refused to let my son go, curling up itself instead while hugging my son closer to its chest," said Rosmani.

A 10-minute tug-of-war ensued, with the baby reportedly calm and uncrying in the arms of the monkey, a male, which had escaped from a leash tying it to a tree.

--
----
Backup email: stay.free AT verizon.net

  • Monkey snatches baby as mother breastfeeds, Carrie McLaren, 10/25/2001