monkeywire - Finally, more monkey-vision

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: "Lulu Bates" <number1chicken AT hotmail.com>
  • To: monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Finally, more monkey-vision
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:46:08

Here! I'm here! Finally. You know, traffic's terrible this time of day. Anyway, here's this weeks monkey-magnificent television watching:

2/15 on Animal Planet, If "Gorilla Project" leaves you hankering for more, and Valentine's Day just isn't your holiday, stay home with your Whitman's sampler and a bottle of chilled chablis and watch Wild Rescues explore what happens to NASA chimps when the space service puts them out to pasture. And, yes, gentle readers, I have been known to tear up on occasion of a monkey in a muddle and for that reason, Wild Rescues, is one of the saddest shows on television. So those who are Valentine-inclined, grab your honey and a box of Kleenex.

2/16 on Animal Planet, Remember what I was saying about monkeys enjoying a certain cache of late? Well, before you rush out and see Brendan Fraser embarrass all monkey lovers in Monkeybone, check out Animal Planet's tour de monkey, Summer of the Monkeys where a lonely boy saves some escaped circus monkeys in order to buy a pony. Yes, you heard me correctly, he trades four perfectly well-trained monkeys for a pony. Doesn't he know that there's nothing more fun than a barrel of monkeys?

2/16 on TNT, Circle of Iron a brilliant pre-Crouching Tiger, ersatz Kung Fu event where a blind (blind! Let's see Chow Yun Fat do that!) Zen master meets a bunch of monkey people and their monkeys. Of course it's on at 4 am, so be sure to go to bed early so you can wake up and watch this monkey-rageous movie!

Also on 2/16 on the WB, Arrest and Trial will focus on Operation: Gorilla, an organized stingset up to stop the smuggling of gorillas from the US to Mexico. Which, of course, begs the question: What do you smuggle a three hundred-pound gorilla in? A duffel bag?

2/17 on UPN Maximum Exposure "the coolest animals alive" will be showcased including some fantastic waterskiing monkeys. Next week, "the coolest animals not-so-much alive."

Also on 2/17 on the Sci Fi Channel, Friday the 13th will shift its focus slightly from hockey-mask wearing hacker-and-slashers to explore the rich history of Japanese sculpture. Check out the "Year of the Monkey," but set your alarms, cause it's on at 5 am. I'm sure it will be worth it.

And, finally, 2/17 on Animal Planet, catch the continuing adventures of the wacky Monkey Business crew. If you haven't seen the show yet, it makes those hefty cable bills seem worth it. Well, Monkey Business, The New Detectives and The Iron Chef, anyway.

2/19 on Animal Planet, the man in the mullet, Steve Irwin, continues the Croc Files' investigation into the personal lives of rich and famous chimps, gorillas, orangutangs and assorted other monkeys. Maybe they'll bite the mullet straight off his head on this episode. (I've been waiting for months now.)