monkeywire - From the archives: Elizabeth Hurley's 1996 attack

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <carrie AT stayfreemagazine.org>
  • To: monkeywire AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: From the archives: Elizabeth Hurley's 1996 attack
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:54:50 -0400

"Tyler the chimpanzee makes an impression"

The Daily Telegraph
September 28, 1996 | By John Hiscock

The model and actress Elizabeth Hurley has found that the usual round of
promotional appearances has become a somewhat dangerous chore. Miss Hurley,
who is credited as producer on the film Extreme Measures, was a guest on
the top-rated Tonight Show with Jay Leno, when a fellow guest - a
boisterous chimp called Tyler - tried to take a bite out of the "face of
Estee Lauder".

Leno had produced the chimp after telling Miss Hurley that he wanted her to
meet someone. She held out her arms but Tyler would not go to her. "Why
doesn't he want me?" she asked. "Give him to me. I want him." She then made
cooing noises, reached for Tyler once more and the chimpanzee bit her ear.
It also nibbled at Leno's hand.

Miss Hurley and Leno attempted to laugh it off but she appeared to be
shocked and upset by the chimp's behaviour. Before Tyler's appearance she
had explained to the chat show host why she called the production company
she owns jointly with her boyfriend Hugh Grant, Simian Films. "I always
thought Hugh looks like a chimpanzee," she said. "He has very small ears
and they are much too high up on his head, giving him a simian look."

Hugh Grant's appearance on the Jay Leno show was also uncomfortable. He was
questioned about his arrest with the prostitute Divine Brown after being
booked on the show to promote a film. A bite from a chimp may be the least
hostile reaction to Miss Hurley's film producing debut. The reviews of
Extreme Measures have not been kind. The Los Angeles Times described it as
"out to lunch". Dark Continent 'could benefit from the lessons of history'
Is it time for Africa plc?

Ben Fenton examines a privatisation proposal with roots in the past
PRIVATIZATION (70%); ARRESTS (64%); JAMES DOUGLAS MUIR 'JAY'
LENO (91%); HUGH GRANT (86%); ESTEE LAUDER (71%);

###

"I have been obsessed with chimps ever since I can remember."
-- Elizabeth Hurley, 1999

  • From the archives: Elizabeth Hurley's 1996 attack, Carrie McLaren, 01/22/2001