microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID draft problem

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter AT stpeter.im>
  • To: jer <jeremie AT jabber.org>
  • Cc: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org, Otto <otto AT ottodestruct.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID draft problem
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:03:30 -0600

jer wrote:
> Ick, Stpeter, others, thoughts?
>
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Otto wrote:
>
>> Trying to use a microID in an XHTML 1.1 document. W3C Validator
>> doesn't like it because it says:
>>
>> character "+" is not allowed in the value of attribute "class"
>>
>> The code in question is basically along these lines:
>> +http:sha1:23e9670868f6d2b16fe1f6b3db80c" ...
>>
>> Any thoughts? Something I'm missing? Didn't know who else to ask about
>> the topic. Is the current spec of microID incompatible with some later
>> XHTML versions when using the "class" method?
>>
>> -Otto

Well, further research reveals that the 'class' attribute has a datatype
of NMTOKENS, i.e., a space-separated list of NMTOKEN productions, which
are defined in XML 1.0 as follows:

Letter | Digit | '.' | '-' | '_' | ':' | CombiningChar | Extender

The last two don't help us (they are things like umlauts and such), so
that means we're limited to letters, digits, periods, hyphens,
underscores, and colons. We're already using hyphens and colons are
separators, so I think we need to change from + to period or underscore.
So in this example that would be:

1. microid-mailto.http:sha1:23e9670868f6d2b16fe1f6b3db80c

or

2. microid-mailto_http:sha1:23e9670868f6d2b16fe1f6b3db80c

I don't have a strong preference between the two. The period feels more
like concatenation to me, but that's perhaps purely visual.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/