market-farming - [Market-farming] Firm Market Start Times? Pros and Cons?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Firm Market Start Times? Pros and Cons?
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 17:22:28 -0400

Our market Steering Committee meets tomorrow night.  On the agenda is whether we start on the hour (as advertised and in our written rules), or allow early sales as vendors are setting up.  So vendors who set up early don't have to twiddle their thumbs, and early customers aren't inconvenienced by the wait.

 A few years back our afternoon market, officially 4-7 pm, kept creeping back until it actually began closer to 3.  And some things were selling out before official start at 4.  So we set a firm time of 3-6, with no early sales allowed.

But a new crop of vendors, unaware of that history, are asking to sell as soon as they are ready, before our official opening time.

We do have a market manager, and advertise on the hour starts, in multiple media platforms.

What is YOUR experience with firm starts on the hour vs. allowing sales between any vendor that shows up early.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA