market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] spreadsheet question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Maryellen Sheehan <farmermaryellen AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] spreadsheet question
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 08:58:04 -0500

Hi Beth,

(Thank you all for such great information on this list--I don't often chime in, but I appreciate being a part of the list!)

I think that the SUMPRODUCT formula is best for what you want to do.  I haven't done this with more than 2 arrays, but it's really helpful for calculating value.

It should work if you set it up like:
=SUMPRODUCT(array 1,array 2)

where array 1 should be the first column of numbers and array 2 the second column of numbers
(So array 1 might be the column of the values of each item and array 2 the column of the quantity of each item)
The arrays need to be set up in this format...  C2:C63, with the first cell in the column, then a colon, then the last cell in the column.

So
=SUMPRODUCT(C2:C63,D2:D63)
multiplies all the items between C2 and C63 together with their corresponding values in D2 through D63, and then adds the products all up for a total.  The only really important thing is that you have to have identically sized arrays or it won't work.

If this still doesn't work, it may be that there are other formulas embedded in the spreadsheet?  Let me know if you are still getting error messages and I can dig out my version of that sheet and see if there is something else weird in it.  Good luck, Maryellen

Maryellen Sheehan
315.655.5652
Hartwood Farm, Fenner NY
www.hartwoodfarm.com