market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farmstand potato packaging

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farmstand potato packaging
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:13:39 -0400

We try to sell ours as quickly as possible.  We partnered with our neighbor where we supplied the equipment and they they ground and in field labor.  We sorted bagged and delivered.  I think everyone was happy in the end.  The numbers worked.  I won;t really know till we both sit down and crunch 'em.

Our goal was to line up a buyer and sell multiple thousand pounds per week.  The overs and unders we bagged for ease of transportations in 50# and 5# bags and then we left about 400 pounds unbagged that we sold at market.

We still have about 900 pounds bagged for chefs.  We are simply keeping them in the dark and cool and not too dry on pallets.

Probably does not help in your case but I would avoid waste if you are slow by properly storing them vs. looking "well stocked."  After all, you can always eat what does not sell.  :)

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855