market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How to organically prevent development of an Algal mat on soilless mix in the greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brian Luton <bcluton AT aol.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How to organically prevent development of an Algal mat on soilless mix in the greenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:24:22 -0400

Hi Andy,

This is a great question and one I was really hoping would elicit some good
hear from you)

I struggle with the same thing at times. I use a home made mix of peat,
perlite, vermiculite, lime, compost, greensand and bonemeal.(Ultimately
probably quite similar to what you're using) This mix in and of itself
doesn't seem to grow the algal mat. I subsequently feed seedlings with
Neptunes Harvest Fish and Seaweed. The algal mat explodes within' a few days
to a week of doing so. For this reason I try not to feed with fish/seaweed
until near the end of the seedlings cycle.(this usually works out okay given
the soil mix but is problematic with some plantings depending on their
residence time in the greenhouse, nutrient needs, etc.)

I wish I had a solution...but perhaps recognizing that its a problem and that
there might be a solution is a good first step. I've always just resigned to
the fact that its tied to liquid nutrients.

I'm pretty sure Sanidate and Oxidate are both listed as algaecides. I wonder
if they're labeled for or have been experimented with for this type of
application. Perhaps there would be a rate that would have some efficacy
against the algal mat but not negatively impact the seedlings?

Anyway I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything. I'd appreciate it if
you'd do the same.

Thanks

Brian