market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Entrust

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Entrust
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 14:28:58 -0400

On Apr 5, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Mark Weinheimer wrote:

Because spinosad is applied at such low rates, it can make sense when you look at the cost per acre.

This may well be true if you expect to use it on a number of acres every year.

A fresh market produce grower with two to ten acres or more of diversified produce plus cover crops isn't likely to need to use Entrust -- or any insecticide -- on all of the acres in active production. A specific crop may significantly benefit from treatment once or twice a year, and that crop is only going to take up a portion -- maybe a small portion -- of the entire acreage.

I might use up a pound of Entrust over 20 years. Or I might not. And I have no idea whether it keeps that long. If I could buy an amount that I'd be likely to use in a year or two (presuming that I used it at all), it would probably be worth it to me to have it on hand for emergency use. They're missing that market, which I suspect is significant, when you add up all the growers in more or less my position.