market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] alfalfa mentor??

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] alfalfa mentor??
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 19:33:11 -0400

We grow  alfalfa, but as part of a hay crop with timothy, fescue,  orchard grass, clove, and birds foot tri-foil. Usually the main plot is about 20 acres give or take five depending on where we rotate it to.

We cyclone and lightly disc in.  We normally plant a cover crop of oats to protect.  We plant spring or fall depending on what the schedule will allow.  No chemicals though I do not source organic seed it is not treated nor-GMO.  First two years are weak, third, fourth, and fifth, are prime, and then we till it under for a grain crop, usually corn.

Cut those oats before they go to seed and bale.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855