market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger - anyone else get shorted on their order?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger - anyone else get shorted on their order?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 14:05:41 -0500

It's my impression that rather than cutting some people out entirely they're instead going to short everybody.

I was shorted a much smaller percentage, but I'd only put in a very small experimental order: I ordered 5 pounds and have been notified I'll be getting three. Maybe that's the minimum they're cutting people down to; or maybe the percentage varies with the variety -- I ordered the Yellow Hawaiian as that was the only ginger left by the time I placed the order, although it had only been two days since they'd opened orders.

Last year I couldn't get any at all and tried buying organic ginger at an area grocery; almost none of it germinated, and what did germinate produced only a very small crop, though I don't know whether that had to do with the variety (I have no idea what variety it was) or with the growing conditions.