market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tillage and cultivation tools for clay soils

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tillage and cultivation tools for clay soils
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:30:33 -0500

Manure spreader, chisel plow, discs with notched lead edge discs and harrow (we just drag a steel I-beam with 12" lengths of rebar welded to the dragging edge).

Use the manure spreader to introduce bulk amounts of sand and organic matter.  Chisel plow disc.  Cover crop with a green manure like wheat, rye, tillage radish, buckwheat, clover.

Repeat for three years.  :)

Your clay soil may look a while lot better.

That's what I am doing for 16 acre plot.  That is nothing but clay and shale.  Drought hit us hard last year and prevented most of what we planned.  Hard to work clay in a drought.  :D

Takes time but soil management does not happen over night.  I'm lucky if I can use it in three years.  It'll probably take longer.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855