market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Please sign petition to save bees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: ecoponderosa <3cedarsfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Please sign petition to save bees
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 10:50:59 -0500

On 2/7/2013 7:24 AM, Richard Stewart wrote:
As a beekeeper with nearly 100 hives I won't because I, in part, fear
farmers returning to the old chemical applications that fell out of use
because of the safer applications. THere is zero peer reviewed science
yet that reproduce field conditions that prove these pesticides are the
cause for CCD. Do they kill bees, you betcha, especially when used
improperly, or in the case of the big German die off, improperly mixed
with the seed coating and then air seeded in larger quantities.

I think this article takes a more even handed look at the issue.

http://boingboing.net/2012/05/07/the-honeybees-are-still-dying.html

Partly a good article but the rest is typical BB hype and skewed opinions.

And on the causes of CCD in bees: (fungicide)
[much more on this, esp. from Prof. Cummins in the sanet archives]
http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind1010&L=sanet-mg&D=1&T=0&O=D&P=7031
Subject: Re: Honey bee killer explained
From: joe cummins
The evidence relating CCD and a virus along with the fungal parasite
Nosema is very strong. However, the published studies have not looked at a thrid culprit the systematic insecticide.
That chemical will reduce the bee's immunity to virus and parasite.
The final answer to CCD is close but still does not say what weakens the bee's immunity to both virus and parasite.
However, there is evidence that the insecticide is likely to be the
final piece of the puzzle, what causes CCD?

http://boingboing.net/2012/05/07/the-honeybees-are-still-dying.html
"The most talked about study, from a Harvard team, found that the colonies fed neonicotinoid-laced corn syrup collapsed in a manner that appeared to mimic the effects of Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD—the mysterious phenomenon in which otherwise-healthy bees simply vanish from their hives. Neonicotinoids, declared the Harvard team, were “the likely culprit in sharp worldwide declines in honeybee colonies since 2006.”