market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Broadforks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Broadforks
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 11:56:57 -0600

I've used the wooden-handled broadfork from Johnny's and the the steel-handled broadfork from Lee Valley (U-Bar Digger).

I tend to stick with the steel-handled because it's more durable from weather and usage.

But I'm one of those 6-foot men from the South. The wooden models are definitely "lighter" after a long day.

Two side-by-side passes down a 4-5 foot bed is all you need for primary tillage. You can also "wiggle" the broadfork under the clods you just forked up to break them apart.

For secondary tillage I use a 4-prong rake to chop up the clods and then a regular garden rake to smooth out a seedbed.

One big trick is to irrigate the hard, dry soil one or two evenings in a row before working, especially when breaking out pasture sod.

For your hoop house and established beds a wooden model will do a good job.

Steve Diver
Texas