market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] to hire, or not to hire?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] to hire, or not to hire?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 12:31:07 -0500 (EST)

That's an excellent point, the differences between employee and partner.  I'll have to add that into my considerations.  One more angle to mull.......
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 12/26/2012 9:25:05 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, rrobinson AT nasw.org writes:
On 12/26/2012 at 12:11:01 PM, KAKerby AT aol.com wrote:
> We have been on the fence for awhile now about hiring some help for the
> production year.  Things came to a head this past weekend, when a good friend
> of ours, who has worked with us here sporadically in the past, dropped a
> comment at a Christmas party that she thinks we should work together during
> 2013 as partners, really rev up production, and go back to selling at the
> farmer's market.
> A 15 second comment has proven to give me three days' worth of "should we or
> shouldn't we?"  And every time I think I've answered the question, I think of
> some new "angle".

We work alone here, so take this for what it's worth, but I would say that working with a new partner is a whole different thing than working with an employee. The issues involved in the former include decision-making, levels of financial investment, sharing risk and profit, and a lot more. To me, it makes the latter seem easy, in comparison.

  Richard Robinson
 www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
 Hopestill Farm
 www.hopestill.com