market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] to hire, or not to hire?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] to hire, or not to hire?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 12:24:50 -0500

On 12/26/2012 at 12:11:01 PM, KAKerby AT aol.com wrote:
> We have been on the fence for awhile now about hiring some help for the
> production year.  Things came to a head this past weekend, when a good friend
> of ours, who has worked with us here sporadically in the past, dropped a
> comment at a Christmas party that she thinks we should work together during
> 2013 as partners, really rev up production, and go back to selling at the
> farmer's market.
> A 15 second comment has proven to give me three days' worth of "should we or
> shouldn't we?"  And every time I think I've answered the question, I think of
> some new "angle".

We work alone here, so take this for what it's worth, but I would say that working with a new partner is a whole different thing than working with an employee. The issues involved in the former include decision-making, levels of financial investment, sharing risk and profit, and a lot more. To me, it makes the latter seem easy, in comparison.

  Richard Robinson
 www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
 Hopestill Farm
 www.hopestill.com