market-farming - [Market-farming] Basil in row spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <artisanfarms AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Basil in row spacing
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 09:40:29 -0500

Hi,

For the last 10 years I've grown Basil bush style and harvested stems through-out the season.  This results in a fair amount of time being spent pinching blossoms and also yields a fair amount of odd length stems and more harvesting and bunching labor than I like.  For next season I am thinking about doing multiple succession plantings and harvesting young whole plants.  My question is what will be the best in row spacing?  Can I plant at 2" and get a reasonable amount of leaves, or should I plant at either 4 or 6".  The goal is to harvest the plants when they get close to 12" high.  I'll be using my paperpot transplanter to set the plants and will most likely plant the basil in either 4 row beds with 12" between the rows or 5 row beds with 8-9" between the rows.  Ideally, I'd plant every other week and harvest each bed for 2 weeks.  The basil will be sold in bunches or be used as a bonus for the CSA shares.

Andy