market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bean pollination under row cover?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bean pollination under row cover?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:00:08 +0000

Under the typical condions of Fall going into Winter, the pollination process
can be challenged by low temperatures, impeding fertilization and seed
development. The quality of pods depends on good fertilization, which depends
on generous pollination. While beans are self-pollinating, bees will visit
bean flowers and can improve pollination through their activities, so giving
bees access to the flowers this time of year may improve pod set and quality.
The warmer temps under covers can help too, so you may want to leave them
covered on cold days but remove the cover for the bees on warmer days.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker,
Northern Illinois Viticulturist - IGGVA
Illinois Grape Growers and Vinters Association
wshoemak AT illinois.edu