market-farming - [Market-farming] Flaming was Carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Flaming was Carrots
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 06:22:34 -0400

Folks

I've owned a commercial 4 burner blamer and have bought a couple of 'ice melters' from the box stores. I have a problem with the orifices plugging up and either the burners not staying lit or going out when you try to increase the flame. I understand this means the orifice needs to be cleaned. It appears that things like carb sprays won't touch this 'gum,' and, so far, only removing the jet or the burner and using a commercial gas orifice 'rod' has given me the success (ie I get a flame that stays lit and powerful through the length of a row) But you could go blind trying to get the hair like cleaning rod into the orifice (I know I did!)

I'm wondering if there are better ways of cleaning the orifice or keeping it from getting dirty ('gumming up') or, worse, if this is a problem unique to my farm.

Thanks

-Allan in WV