market-farming - [Market-farming] New Raspberry pest-back again with a vengance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin & Christine Burkholder" <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] New Raspberry pest-back again with a vengance
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:45:00 -0400

The new no see-um fruit fly which first made an appearance on our Virginia farm last summer is back again, with a vengeance!  I had considered spraying an insecticide as the crop started into bloom in July but backed off when I saw the number and variety of bees and other pollinators on the plants.  I opted instead to inspect the plants with a magnifying glass in search of the offending flies to see if I could make a positive identification before bringing in the bombs.  I never could see anything that looked like the spotted wing drosophila which I have been suspecting is the culprit.

Now the first flush is ripening and at least 90% of the ripe fruit is mushy soft, crawling with maggots, and unfit to harvest.  If there is no way of rescuing the remaining unripe fruit there will be no reason to attempt harvesting any more of the crop.  It looks like we can consider the crop a 100% failure.  I am considering bombing them immediately and waiting a week or more to begin harvesting.  Anything ripe now or going to ripen within the next week or two would be given a goodbye kiss.  Does anyone think this has a chance of working?  Would insecticide hitting the infested berries still hanging on the vines kill the maggots and help reduce the pest load next year?  Would I also need to soak the ground under the plants to get maggots on the fallen berries?  When are the berries being infested?  At bloom or preripening?

The only professional beekeeper still operating in our county happens to be a next door neighbor.  He is struggling with all the new issues confronting beekeeping, including “colony collapse disorder” believed to be caused by environmental poisoning.  I do not wish for my activities to contribute to his demise!

Fall red raspberries have in the past been one of our cornerstone income generating crops.  Should I attempt a rescue maneuver now or should I write it off this year and plan to go after it early next season?

This thing is hurting us far more than the BMSB invasion that has had everyone stewing for the past two years!

Marlin Burkholder