market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] buckwheat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Erin Bullock <erin.dandelion AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] buckwheat
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:58:19 -0400

Just a great anecdote about buckwheat.... I planted a few acres of very
successful flowery buckwheat, timed to go in just before rain that never
came, and then we had a very hot 5 weeks of no precipitation at all. 3 days
after planting it came up very strong (with some moisture in the soil I
guess, didn't seem that moist when I planted it).
We sowed it using a belly-grinder hand broadcaster. Then I harrowed it in
with an old spring-tooth harrow, then I cultipacked with a double roller.
VERY impressed by the stand. Just disced it in last week.
Erin

-----

Erin Bullock, Mud Creek Farm
www.mudcreekfarm.com