market-farming - [Market-farming] Sweet potato transplant problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thomas P Hurtgen <hurtgenmeadows AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Sweet potato transplant problem
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 22:05:26 -0400

I received 1000 sweet potato slips last Thursday about 1pm and had them
planted by about 6 pm. Drip was running on all of the beds by 8:30 pm.
Every day since (3 days) the drip irrigation has been running twice per day
for 60 minutes each time. What looked like nice beds of leafy green sweet
potatoes on Thursday and Friday are now (Sunday) mere stems about 6-8 inches
high. I can't find any animal tracks but this is not surprising because it
has been very dry. The beds were in cover crops (crimson clover, annual rye
and ground hog radishes) over the winter and tilled in early May. In mid May
rotted leaf mulch was tilled in to all of the beds. Prior to planting, 75
pounds of composted cow manure manure (.5, .5, .5) was spread on each 150
foot bed and tilled in. It appears to me that plants in the entire field
have been similarly affected. Any clues or suggestions would be most
appreciated. Many thanks.

Thomas P Hurtgen (7b)
hurtgenmeadows AT gmail.com