market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] vegetative barriers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] vegetative barriers
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 08:49:58 -0400

Sent one reply, it never showed, so here is another, slightly different now that I can use something other than my phone.  :)

First thing, I have no idea what your geographical, soil, or weather conditions are like, so that needs to be kept in mind when discussing this.

First thing is are you creating a wind barrier?  A runoff barrier?  Erosion for flood prone ground?  Every situation calls for something different,

I have to be honest and say that every 50' sounds absurd.  If its wind, put up a windbreak at the leading edge of the field where the prevailing winds come from and be done with it.

Elderberry is nice.  We harvest and sell it from wild sources and sort of cultivate them down on our flood plain by driving a bobcat through the horseweeds (Giant Ragweed) to allow better access to them off our bridal trails.  I figure we'll be harvesting the better part of a 1/2 acre of them this year.  They get dense and wide though so your wind break that is every 50" is going to chew up around 18' in diameter when your hedge reaches maturity (experience may of course, vary).

What about some annual grasses that die off in freeze?  There are some interesting African imports that are also proving good to be forage for horses and cattle.

I still think this every 50' is going to an unnecessary extreme without knowing more details.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855