market-farming - [Market-farming] strawberry planting tips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Flying Plow Farm CSA <flyingplowfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] strawberry planting tips
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:35:14 -0400

We went through multiple tools (we do about 1600 at a time, too), and found the best tool for us was a narrow trenching shovel. We found a short handled one that had a very heavy shovel part, I think at the hardware store. Wish we could find one that had a real step attached....

With the trench shovel, one person can make the holes (don't dig, just stamp the shovel in and wiggle back and forth to make a slice, just wide enough to get the roots down straight). One (or two) people can follow behind putting the plants in. We didn't need to back fill very much. And we water very well once we are done.....  It was pretty painless last year once we found the trenching shovel. Not sue the minutes per plant, but I recall it was 2-3 people and less than a full day of work.
-sarah
Flying Plow Farm CSA
www.flyingplowfarm.com

Find us on Facebook and Twitter

  • [Market-farming] strawberry planting tips, Flying Plow Farm CSA, 04/09/2012