market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable (Gary Scott)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gary Scott <twinspringsfarmva AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable (Gary Scott)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:59:13 -0400

All,

This is a great discussion on salad mixes and agree with Jay in particular. Regardless of whether a mix or head lettuce the QUALITY is superior as others mentioned. What I have discovered is that I get a better return by doing two things. One is I seed lettuce mixes in 128s, then transplant them on 8" centers in my high tunnels. I harvest the larger leaves like Jay mentioned, and get more lbs per row ft before they get bitter. I have stopped direct seeding as much as I use to. I am also doing more head lettuce such as Winter Density which is a wonderful cold tolerant lettuce and demand has been really good (grow others as well). I get $1.25 to $1.75 per head depending on head size. I also sell young small heads to chefs who like it for bedding under a main dish or a special salad, less money at $.75 per head. I have been getting more demand for head lettuce, I think it is because most of the other growers are growing lettuce mix. My plan as we warm up is to have multiple green and red summer varieties that are more hot tolerant to cut and bag, but also for head lettuce. My favorite of the hot weather lettuce is New Red Fire,nice red leaf tat does not get bitter. I am also having great demand for Red Russian Kale and Swiss Chard. I started doing Swiss Chard in the Fall and Winter in my high tunnels last season and was surprised by the per sq ft return. I have been getting $2.25 for Red Russian and $2.15 for Swiss Chard for 1/2lb bunches at two health food stores that are very popular. The one wholesale distribution company I sell to gives me $1.75.  Once the farm markets get started those buyers will cut back which is fine because I can move volume through the farm markets.

--
Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm

Live like you will die tomorrow… farm like you will live forever !

  • Re: [Market-farming] Salad Mix Roundtable (Gary Scott), Gary Scott, 03/15/2012