market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BCS recommendations needed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BCS recommendations needed
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 06:18:42 -0600

I have no personal stake in saying this but I highly recommend buying from Joel at Earth Tools.  He sells a wide selection of implements and his knowledge of BCS and his willingness to help with use and maintenance questions is absolutely superb.

We raise 5 acres of produce and have found that a 4-wheeled tractor is indispensable on our scale.  We started out with a BCS 850 and still use it with a tiller and brush mower for tilling between rows and other odds and ends.  I highly recommend the riding wagon that Joel sells for hauling produce, tools, etc.  We found the flail mower was frustrating and required constant maintenance and did not perform well in very tall dense covers.  We also tried the potato digger and found that lack of traction was sometimes an issue and also that the digger did not always dig in deep enough and ended up slicing a lot of tubers.

Chris

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm
www.twoonionfarm.com