market-farming - [Market-farming] Keeping "Rolling Thunder" on the ground.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Keeping "Rolling Thunder" on the ground.
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:18:58 -0500

Title: Keeping "Rolling Thunder" on the ground.

Several months ago I submitted an application to NRCS for a grant to put up a “Rolling Thunder” moveable high tunnel.  The high winds we have been experiencing for this past week have gotten me scared.  I have read some of Elliot Coleman’s material about these things and I don’t think his system for wind anchoring them would hold up to the winds we get here.  His site appears to have woods with a lot of evergreen trees within several hundred feet of his high tunnels.  We have scattered patches of mostly hardwood and a few eastern red cedars forest and we sit between two hills where late winter wind sucks through with relentless force.

I would be interested in others’ experiences with “Rolling Thunder” tunnels and what they think would be sufficient to hold them on the ground during the near hurricane force winds which we can expect every spring.
I really don’t want to take many risks with an investment of $7000 per tunnel even if the government is going to pay for part of it.

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley
Virginia