market-farming - [Market-farming] "Cool Truck"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jan Lite <liteshoe AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] "Cool Truck"
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:24:54 -0500

Hi,
Question: Does anyone have a low-cost solution for keeping produce cool (about 55-60 degrees) in a transport truck?
Our Co-op is upgrading from an uncooled rental van and is examining our options.
Most times the produce would be in the truck an hour or less, but transferring to a simple air-conditioned space for several hours for distribution. The truck would be making several trips each of two mornings, with no time to really cool in between.
We are in the market for a truck, and will be getting a lift-gate mechanism, but a full refrigerator.compressor seems like expensive overkill, as we are not hauling produce between coasts but within a 50-mile radius.
I know there are some clever solutions out there!
We deployed a CoolBot based on suggestions from this list several years ago.
Thanks!