market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] snow peas / weather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] snow peas / weather
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:53:14 -0500

I am still hoping for some winter. The ground hasn't frozen up here yet; yesterday hit 56ยบ, today is supposed to also be in the 50's. I haven't been able to get firewood because the ground is sodden and won't freeze, and am seriously worried about all the perennial crops -- including all the vineyards in this area, though I don't myself have enough grapes to worry about much.

I'm afraid that winter is finally going to show up around March, and catch everything in full bloom two months early. I'm also worried about insect populations next year -- we usually count on the winter to reduce the pest populations significantly.