market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tobacco Setter for Peppers?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tobacco Setter for Peppers?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:47:38 +0000

Those were pretty tall plants but had thin stems. They may have been grown in plant beds and pulled, but not topped so they grew tall and skinny. No reason why that wouldn't work if they were planted the same day they were pulled. I think you could do the same. Just plant the seed earlier than normal outside and put a tunnel coldframe over them to heat it up inside and protect from night-time temperatures. Then once you have the field ready, pull them a batch at a time and set them. You could top the plants before taking them to the field. It sounds harsh but really, tomatoes are weeds. Once they reach a certain size (4-5 leaves) they have a lot of stored energy. Topping them will reduce the need for water when they lose part of their root system, making it more likely the remaining shoot system has sufficient water after setting. Irrigate heavily and they'll push new roots quickly with stored energy. Before long they'll being growing strong.

The biggest risk is bacteral disease, which takes advantage of wounded plants. Use sterile tools and keep your transplanter clean.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center