market-farming - [Market-farming] Composter

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Composter
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:26:27 -0500

Hello everyone,

In a park in Montréal, I recently a pretty interesting device. A
closed-vessel composter, similar to commercial ones, but made out of
black culvert pipe, about 20' long. The culvert pipe was resting on
wheel, I presume to make it "rollable". It had a gentle downward slope,
which I presume had the material tumble down a little with every turn.
Overall, it looked kinda like an oversized domestic compost "tumbler".
Sorry, I do not have pictures.

I was wondering if anybody have ever built such a thing for a market
garden. In my case, I do not produce enough garden waste to produce
pile big enough that would heat and compost nicely. My waste for 2011
fits in a 4'x4'x16' wooden frame. Because the organic waste accumulate
slowly, it never really got hot. The top tends to dry out and it is a
pain to turn. I would like to find a better system, and a closed vessel
looks like a good solution. This composting "tube" made of large
culvert pipe sounds ideal: feed fresh organic matters on the high end as
they become available, turn every day, and get compost out of the low
end every couple of weeks.

Beside, how is every one dealing with on-farm composting at a
small-scale? A big pile, a composting vessel, something else entirely?
Your experience would be much welcome.

Cheers,

Etienne