market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] slightly off topic: solar back-up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] slightly off topic: solar back-up
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:50:19 -0500 (EST)

We had to put in a generator many years ago when we were feeding cattle, they need water, they need feed, in the winter the tanks can't operate froze.   the unit we used hooks up to a tractor and we have a switch at the meter pole the power company put in so when it is operating we don't have to worry about feed back through the power lines in case someone is working on the down power lines.  Our generator is over 40 years old and was built by winpower, and I think they are still being built here in Iowa.  Two winters ago we were out of power for over three weeks, couldn't get through the snow drifts to rehook the down power  poles, didn't run all the time but it did keep the water pump going part of the day, heat in greenhouse going, and the emergency items we needed.  Used about 300 gal of diesel over that period of time.

We do used some solar but it is also on the grid and will not work without the grid working as well.  I do use some solar heating system for a couple of growing beds that keeps one hoophouse working most of the winter for greens.

Phil from Iowa