market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Baby Ginger - one more time

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Baby Ginger - one more time
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 16:13:24 +0000

I think it might very well be harvestable outside in our growing season, but I doubt we could get the same amount of growth.  It wants very warm temperatures and warm soil temperatures, and until it gets them, it sulks.  And, I figure we will be harvesting it over a several week season, and in the tunnel, it continues to put on weight.  Outside, it would probably stop by now with our cooler fall temperatures.  The rhizomes were actually planted in bulb crates in our heated, but cool, greenhouse in early March, and we transplanted them about 2-3 weeks later than we intended.

We got our “seed” from http://www.eastbranchginger.com/    Susan’s website has a lot of growing information and she keeps in contact and supports the growers.

It is actually shipped from http://www.hawaiianorganicginger.com/

Alison

Alison, if you planted that out on June 17, and were able to harvest by late September: do you think it might produce a crop grown outside, without the high tunnel, in areas where the frost free season is longer than that?

And, I can't remember if you've already answered this: where did you get your starts?