market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Velcro-type fasteners

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Velcro-type fasteners
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 22:08:26 -0400

My cold season experience with unheated greenhouses was primarily in 30 and 32
wide structures used as nurseries for new born dairy heifers, but the most of the
principles will apply. At my retirement we had over 400 buildings, mostly  across the northern
tier of states housing over 10,000 calves.

The photo above is typical, as you look at the side there is a roll up side which is open,
there is a skirt at the bottom of the side which is double layer poly , about 30 inches high.
What it is - is 6 foot wide poly folded over a # 9 wire, sealed at the
 base board. Its purpose is to keep air from blowing into the building at floor level,
 and when the roll up side is lowered  the skirt can be inflted to make a complete seal of the side.

At each end of the building there is a layer of poly from the end of the structure to the first
rib which prevents most of the air which could blow in when the roll up side is closed. Further,
there is wire lock at the end rib so that in cold weather conditions the roll up side double poly
can be sealed and inflated by removing a bit of wirelock at the top of the roll-up curtain.

Some Amish did not want to do inflated so we went single layer which had a strip of
poly tape diagonal from a bottom of a rib at one side to the bottom of the next rib on
the other side; a process which stabelized the poly and held it in place.

MAsteveINE