market-farming - [Market-farming] sealing up/ venting high tunnel for winter growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cameron Pedersen <campedersen AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] sealing up/ venting high tunnel for winter growing
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:16:18 -0400

A couple of questions:

1: I am in zone 6a, south-central Pa. For winter growing, is it necessary to seal up the tunnel so it is more or less airtight? (We are growing cold-hardy greens, mainly spinach, baby lettuce, and various brassica greens). With roll-ups, it seems like a challenge. I installed roll-locks, which seems to create a good seal along the sides, but creates a large gap in the corners when the tunnel is closed. I remedied that somewhat by filling the gaps with triangular pieces of wood, but there are still various cracks and crevices that will let in cold air. Also, the door is a simple home made affair that doesn't seal completely when closed. I could improve both of these situations with insulation foam, but do I need to? Will that matter for a 2016 sf tunnel if the temp is getting into the teens or single digits outside? We have a single layer of plastic, and will be using row cover inside.

2: On cold, cloudy winter days, do you vent your tunnels for the sake of disease prevention?

Thanks,

Cameron

--
Bending Bridge Farm