market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] deer repellent?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] deer repellent?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:29:46 -0500

I was told that the easiest, most effective and cheapest way to keep deer out is with a "3D" fencing system using inexpensive woven nylon electric tape - the white, flat stuff. You can string this on inexpensive plastic poles and electrify with a battery charger if too far from an outlet.

The trick is to bait the fence to make sure the deer get a shock on the nose. Young deer head out on their own about this time of year so its important to re-bait to teach the new arrivals.

The 3D fence doesn't have to be particularly tall - maybe 4-5 feet. The 2nd strand that sets out from the other is maybe 2-3 foot off the ground.

I built such a fence around my grapes this summer and the deer have not had so much as a nibble since its construction. I didn't even have to electrify it - the loose white tape was enough to keep them at bay for now. Winter will probably require electrification.

See Premier Fencing for details:
http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=31

Joe
Boone County, IA